As per usual, Thanksgiving came and went, a whirlwind of people, out of town guests, cooking and, of course eating.
I always host the holiday, so throw in a dismantled house, extra dishes and endless clean up. Plus, all three kids home for the first time since my empty nesting, which only led to more excitement.
I typically start to get caught up in shiny object syndrome, chasing after big heavy meals, wanting to feed my kids their favorite meals (which are not necessarily mine), more cooking, eating and celebrating.
Kids gone back to school, house cleaned up, I know that the time is now to right the ship and eat a bit lighter.
Nothing wrong with gathering with friends and family and sharing a delicious meal. I know that I don’t want to feel regretful come January.
Besides, I happen to love this Sweet Potato Cashew Bowl. It’s warm and cozy, healthy and filling. So good.
This bowl is easy to make (great for this busy time of year) and all plant based. Good for offsetting the heavy meals you will likely have this coming month.
It’s simple: whole grain brown rice, high fiber beans, high nutrient vegetables and a vegan sauce made with cashews. Yum. Enjoy the days in between the holidays with lighter, delicious eating. Enjoy!
Sweet Potato Cashew Bowl
Makes 4 servings
1 cup uncooked brown rice
2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
2 medium chopped red peppers
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons sriracha sauce (or prepared salsa or a couple dashes of hot sauce)
2 cups boiling water
1 cup raw cashews
½ cup water
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1/2 lime, juiced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the cashews in bowl and cover with boiling water and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Make the rice: in a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil with a dash of salt. Add the rice, cover and bring down to a simmer for 45 minutes. Turn off the heat and keep the lid on for another 15 minutes.
- Cook the vegetables: on a rimmed sheet pan, toss the sweet potato, red pepper and onion with the olive oil, chili powder and salt. Place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes.
- Make the cashew sauce: drain the cashews. In a mini food prep add the cashews, water, vinegar, lime juice, garlic, chili powder and salt. Blend well.
- Assemble the bowls: divide the rice, vegetables and beans among four bowls. Drizzle the cashew sauce, sprinkle with cilantro and serve.