Whole Grain Carrot Cake Cookies
We are all searching for a healthy treat, this one fits the bill! Delicious and even better the next day.
Makes about 18 cookies
1 ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon sea salt
2/3 cup organic brown sugar or cane sugar
½ cup unrefined coconut oil, melted
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup shredded or grated carrots (about 2 medium)
1 cup walnuts, chopped
½ cup unsulphured golden raisins (or dark raisins if you prefer)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and sugar.
3. In a medium mixing bowl or blender, combine the coconut oil, egg, and vanilla, and blend until well emulsified.
4. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until combined. Fold in the carrots, walnuts and raisins. Mixture will be very crumbly. Use your hands to combine if necessary.
5. Using your hands, take about ¼ cup of the batter and form it into a small disk. Place on baking sheet leaving space between each cookie for them to expand. Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden around the edges.
Inspiration by Pamela Salzman