Extreme days call for extreme measures – and on this Election day this means some comfort food. Whether you are voting Hilary or Trump, or going rogue with the Green Party, the tension in the air is heavy. Tomorrow, half of our country will be divided in ways that I imagine most of us have not seen in our lifetimes.
When I am stressed out, I always try to turn to something non-food related to soothe me, like a walk with my dog or a warm bath. I am very aware by now that there is no food on the planet that will make my jangled nerves feel better in the long run. BUT…every once in a while it makes perfect sense. Tonight we will be glued to the TV in anticipation of this historic presidency and a little comfort food fits the bill. Like this Pumpkin Pecan Bread Pudding.
The best part? You make it right in your slow cooker, you know, that ingenious piece of equipment that allows you to press ON and then walk away? Yes, a slow cooker dessert recipe!
Now, I am not saying that this is one of my healthier recipes but here’s whats good: pumpkin is full of vitamins A and fiber, the pecans are loaded with healthy omega – 3’s, I am using whole wheat pastry flour (a whole grain). And in the final hour I decided to make some coconut whipped cream to top it off. No heavy cream, just coconut milk with a touch of maple syrup and vanilla.
The good news is that rich desserts only require a bite or two (nothing good comes after the third bite!). Soothe your Election day nerves with this comforting end to the day.
Pumpkin Pecan Bread Pudding
Makes 6 servings
1 2/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup organic brown cane sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup almond milk, or milk of choice
2/3 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/4 cup organic canola oil, or melted butter
25 whole pecans
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup organic brown cane sugar
Coconut Whipped Cream
1 can full fat coconut milk, refrigerated for 24 hours
4 teaspoons pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Mix well.
- In the same bowl, add the milk, pumpkin and canola oil or butter. Mix until smooth.
- Spread the batter into the bottom of your slow cooker and top with the pecans, pressing firmly into the batter.
- Meanwhile, add the water and the remaining brown sugar into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Heat over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Carefully pour into the slow cooker over the batter (it will look like a mess but trust me on this).
- Place two paper towels over the top of the slow cooker (to prevent steam from dripping onto the pudding) and place the lid carefully on top. Cook on HIGH for about 1 hour (more time depending on the size and power of your slow cooker). When an inserted toothpick comes out clean, it is done.
- Make the whipped cream: open the can of coconut milk and carefully scoop out the hardened cream on top (you can use the liquid for smoothies). Add that to a medium mixing bowl with the maple syrup and vanilla. With an electric mixer beat on high for a couple of minutes until the whipped cream is fluffy. You can store it in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
- Top the warmed bread pudding with the coconut whipped cream and enjoy!
Inspired by lifemadesweeter.com